Monday, September 10, 2012

Blog 2: Analyze This


Analysis, in my own terms, is the process of studying the parts, or whole, of "something". The "something" here is subject to change depending on what the analysis is being applied to. In the field of writing research, my best guess is that analysis would be the breaking down of a topic of research in order to better understand its components and how they fit into the greater whole of the topic. Essentially it would center around collecting data that relates to the topic and studying it to see how it can be applied.
     In order to use analytical tools in the topic presented in my first blog post (the effects of modern social media trends on language) I would first collect data on the topic. I am most interested in the varying viewpoints that individuals hold in regards to the current state of language, so I would have to speak with a number of individuals of varying backgrounds in order to get a well-rounded set of data. Then, I would categorize the responses of the interviewees into those who viewed language change as a "positive" or "negative" occurrence. Since I have yet to take a firm stance on this topic, I do not know how I would utilize this data. If, let's say, I decide to view the changes as a "bad" thing then I could use my compiled data from interviews to help prove that there is a general consensus about the trends. Then again, since "good" and "bad" are subjective, it could be a difficult point to prove either way.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that analyzing is studying the parts or the whole of whatever you are researching or reading. The way that I usually do analysis is I break down the subject into simpler terms and then I synthesize. After that, I usually analyze what I had written in order make sure that I synthesized my analysis correct. In addition to using raw data, you could also go on previous studies that would relate to your topic. I wish you luck with whatever research you do.

    ReplyDelete